Vascular Surgery/vnus closure aftercare

Question
Had vnus closure of my L.Great Saphenous Vein yesterday. I wasn't given an aftercare sheet and of course it's the weekend and office is closed. Called my Dr's partner, who was the Dr. on call,to ask him if I should take my routine 81mg aspirin. He advised me to take 325mg aspirin for 5 days then continue with baby aspirin regimen. Nothing that I've read suggests aspirin afterwards. In fact, a few websites suggested not taking aspirin or anything that might thin the blood. My concern is that aspirin might loosen formed clot and allow it to travel upward. Could I please have your opinion on this? Thanks so much!

Answer
teresa, in our aftercare we do not advise additional aspirin as we want the vein to clot, just like you say. the 81 mg is usually resumed but no additional aspiring is given.
here is a portion of our after care sheet

Pain experienced after ClosureŽ is usually reported as mild.  It is rare for a patient to require pain medication for more than a couple of days.  Of course, worsening pain or new pain in the operative leg should be reported to us.   Patients who have ClosureŽ frequently require no prescription pain medication.  Over the counter Tylenol may be taken as needed.  
After ClosureŽ, you may resume almost all your usual activities the day of the procedure.  You should walk as soon as possible after ClosureŽ.   You may climb stairs and resume other activities as tolerated.  No aerobic exercise for 3 days, no horseback, snow mobile or motorcycle riding for 3 days after closure. You should avoid sitting with your legs hanging for long periods or standing in one place.  When sitting, it is best to elevate your legs on a footstool. For a few weeks following the treatment, we recommend a regular walking regimen and suggest you refrain from very strenuous activities (heavy lifting, for example) or prolonged periods of standing.
Lumps along the greater saphenous vein (inner thigh) are commonly felt after this procedure.  These and any bruising disappears over the next few weeks to months.  You may try Arnica cream or gel to help the bruising to go away faster. You can get Arnica Cream at a health store without a prescription.

hope this helps, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway