Vascular Surgery/amputation of toe/ not healing

I had my toe half amputated and debrivement of the second. this surgery was done on 31/06/12, today it is the 29/01/13 so wont belong before 12 months have passed and the toes are not healing. the reason is i had septicemia and naturism on the same leg 15 years ago and therefore had to have a plastic graph placed in my right groin to save my leg.
But this is slowing the process down of my toes not healing because of reduced blood circulation because of this graph.
Please are my vascular team missing something they could do or try to speed up or better the healing process, because there now talking of possible below knee amputation as its just staying the same as when the surgery was first carried out.
You mention in some of your answers procedures that they can do like oxygen tests etc to see how the blood circulation is to the toes but i have never had not one test only dressings 3 times a week and my team just looking at my foot every 6 weeks.
nottingham / england

they havent done any tests at all since surgery?
should have done several ultrasounds to make sure the leg is getting good blood flow by now. if not perhaps you should think about seeking a 2nd opinion to see where the problem lies
also the oxygen test is called TRANSCUTANEOUS OXYGEN (TcPO2) and it estimates the probability of healing a wound in an ischemic extremity.  This test should be done in order to tell if the wounds can heal AND to predict if the amputation incision will heal...seriously if the amputation doesnt heal you are in worse shape yet
if there is inadequate oxygen, ultrasound or angiography can tell where the blockage of blood flow IS and what can be done to restore it
i wouldnt let them amputate without further testing
hope this helps, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota