Vascular Surgery/right leg artery complications

I had a popliteal aneurysm repaired which was followed by a blockage. A repair was attempted, followed by a blown artery  and another blockage. I have one leg artey left that does not reach the ankle so I am told. My foot is ok so far. No further surgery is suggested unless an emergency arises.I do not smoke nor drink. I have vascular disease.

My question. I have been walking almost two miles slowly with rest. This was the only suggestion given along with, "continue to increase the walk".Can this improve the blood flow without my artery going to the foot?

Exercise is very important, walking is the best. There's only a couple things to think about one is not to walk through any cramping, calf pain, thigh pain. That cramping indicates the blood is not given to the muscles adequately to supply them with the nutrition they need as they work. So if you do get cramping or muscle pain stop. Just stop and in a matter of a few seconds, the relaxation of the blood vessels and gravity will help to bring blood to the muscles and you can start up again. The general consensus is 40 minutes of walking is adequate to increase we call collateral blood flow which means you're increasing the size and strength of the arteries that feed your muscles and tissues, so even if the major blood vessels like the popliteal artery are blocked or narrowed, these smaller arteries are strengthened by your exercise. It's fun to know that you already walking 2 miles, most the time when I give this advice people are just being able to work less than a quarter of a block to keep up the good work, I hope this helps Lauri  

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota