Vascular Surgery/ileac occlusion

Question
Hi, I am 46 yo, weigh approx 105 lbs and have been diagnosed with an ileac artery occlusion.  I smoked as a teen but have been a non-smoker for over 20 yrs. I exercise regularly, in fact my running was how I first began having symptoms several months ago.  My real discomfort is when I try and run, which I really can't do any longer outside.  I am able to do my treadmill a few times a week, walk/jog but still have symptoms down my leg and into my foot.  Different times during the day I feel sensations ranging from heaviness, feeling like my sock has wrinkles in it, discomfort into the groin and down the leg, etc., but it is pretty much bearable at this point.  I had a few of the basic auto immune diseases checked out which were negative.  The vascular docs I see are not really sure what exactly it is but are now telling me an angiogram/stent would not be recommended because of where the blockage is and the risk of scar tissue and re-occlusion and of the stent breaking off :( They are mentioning bypass surgery which kinda freaks me out a little.  I am an RN myself and work in acute care settings so I see first hand what goes on and what can happen.  Apparently my pedal and popliteal pulses are decent but not so with the femoral one. Soooo, my thinking is perhaps wait till the symptoms become worse or more debilating rather than under such a major procedure.  Agree???

Answer
disagree, totally
the more symptoms the more damage and i much prefer surgery to bypass for almost every pt but especially in one so young as you
just make sure your vascular surgeon - as you know - can do this in her sleep...has done hundreds
best of luck,lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway