Vascular Surgery/VNUS Closure vs. EVLT

I had the VNUS Closure done on my right leg  (Great Saphenous Vein) in May, 2012. I was suppose to have follow-up sclerotherapy on the same vein to finish the job so to speak. However, I put off the follow-up treatment due to issues with the doctor's office & battling the insurance company for compensation for the closure. The vein hasn't improved, but I figure that has to do with not having the follow-up sclerotherapy. I finally went to another doctor for a consultation, and he is recommending that I have the EVLT closure on the leg in conjunction with micro-phlebectomy treatment. I'm wondering why I need to have yet another closure on this leg after just having one 10 months ago? And, I doubt the insurance will pay for another procedure. This doctor will charge $8,000 for a closure, whereas the cost for the first closure was $2800. Does this seem pricey?

you had another ultrasound to show the vnus did not work on greater saphenous? or 2nd doc said your closure failed without an ultrasound?
the branch veins that need phlebectomies are not in themselves sign that closure did not work
it is rare to need another closure or evlt on same vein
cost varies, but that is pretty extreme, your insurance wont cover? lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota