Vascular Surgery/consult for a professional

Question
I am a physical therapist working with a patient in a SNF. She has a right open TMA and a heel ulcer. The doctor said that we could weight bear as long as neither wound was effected. There is about a 3" span along the sole of her foot in which we were trying to problem solve making a makeshift darco boot to accomodate this. The doctor sent back a response requesting a "backless sandal" First of all I dont even know where to start to find one or if there even such a thing and, how will a TMA be able to hold a backless sandal on with no forefoot? Can you help?

Answer
an orthotist / prosthetist can make a custom walking 'boot" that off loads any weight bearing surface
in our clinic we'd make an order for
ambulatory consult to orthotist / prosthetist (these guys make artificial legs) for custom off loading footwear make sure the usual dressings are on the foot when she goes in, and make sure you do the on for 30 minutes then check for reddened areas and reapply for 45 minutes and so on until she can wear safely without causing pressure somewhere else....
the other problem can be that with one 'boot' she may feel her hips "off" a bit and may need one for other foots so she is able to walk correctly
best of luck lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway