Vascular Surgery/Paresthesia


One month post op endarterectomy ( 62 yr. old male) 2 stents and removal of plaque w/patch placement in artery. I'm experiencing a wide swarth of paresthesia on inner thigh between groin and knee. Not really painful but most uncomfortable. Told it resolves in time for 75% of patients with the remaining 25%  getting no relief at all ( lifetime issue ) Are these figures correct and what should I be looking for as signs of the problem possibly resolving on its own. Does vigorous rubbing of effected area help promote the nerve regeneration. It feels good but I have no clue if it is at all therapeutic.

craig you hit the nerve on the head
self massage is the best therapy i know
anytime you have blockage to the leg, nerve damage can occur because the nerves are not being nourished, the nerves can cause pain numbness, tingling etc and take a very long time to return to normal.
the only thing i know that helps -with the little i know about you- is massage and sometimes a med called gabapentin
sorry it is very hard to answer a question about a specific person without seeing tests, operative reports, being able to see and feel the leg, but massage may be your best bet.  i would sure suggest having a massage therapist,  holistic or naturopathic MD who has experience with alternative medicine / treatments teach you to do the massage yourself as this creates a connection bewtween the nervesin your hands, your leg and your brain
one month is not long enough to be totally healed for sure so first thing is tincture of time, have patience, seek out a good massage therapist who can teach you to do daily self massage
best of luck, lauri

Vascular Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lauri Ordway


I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.


I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota

©2016 All rights reserved.