Vascular Surgery/venous insufficiency left leg.

I had a hysterectomy in 1998, and as a result I got a blood clot in my left leg (phelbitis), which I was on warfarin for 6 months. I have a yearly Bilateral lower extremity venous doppler done to be safe. So far no DVT in eithe of my legs. I also had a doppler lower extremity arterial unlateral on 8/30/12, and the impression was "Unremarkable left lower extremity arterial doppler". I have venous insufficiency in my left leg and the other day I noticed that on the right side of my lower left leg, when I felt the leg, I felt a slight raised bump, and the veins felt like a chord, and the skin is alittle red. Also when I press on it, it hurts. My question is, could this be another blood clot, or inflammation of a vein, or possibly an infection. I'am taking amoxicillin for a sinus/ear infection that my medical doctor diagnosed a little over a week ago. I did make an appointment with my vascular surgeon just to be on the safe side. In your opinion could this be a superficial blood clot, or does it sound like it is just inflammation. I do wear prescription compression hose 20/30, but I'am guilty of not elevating my legs as much as I should. Please advise. Thank you in advance for all your help.

PS: I forgot to mention that as a result of this blood clot & venous insufficiency, my lower left leg skin has a permanent brownish discoloration.

of course without feeling, seeing it is hard to say bit to me this sounds like a superficial clot but as you know we dont "do" much for a superficial clot, just symptom care so it is unlikely your doc will restart your coumadin/warfarin.
see your doc as planned for a good exam, just to be sure

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota