Vascular Surgery/incision drainage

I recently had a fem-fem operation on 5/20/2013 to correct coldness in l. foot. Operation was successful. About the 2nd week I noticed clear drainage from the incision in my left thigh by the groin area which still has the stitches intact. This fluid appears to be clear but on the bandage it looks yellow. I went to the surgeon and he indicated that I'm in the 5% group that this can happen to. I change and clean incision 3x per day. I have no fever,just tenderness,no redness, to indicate an infection, just leaks. my question is "how long will this drainage continue"

Thank you

hi, sounds like a lymphatic leak, we usually culture the drainage is so the doc knows if there is an infection, if so, that is treated then, time is the only way to measure if the lymphatic vessel will seal off of not, if not surgery to seal it off is the usual remedy
of course, i am not sure this is a lymph leak or no, but it is what it sounds like
resting- to allow the vessle to heal and keeping the skin and incision dry are the only things i know to 'speed' the process. if the dressings are dry at each dressing chage thats great but if the dressing is wet, you may want to change the dressing more frequently
hope this helps lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota