Vascular Surgery/Lymphadema causes

I am female 51 yrs old smoker for 30Yrs. Breast cancer 2005. Radiation and surgery only. Lymph nodes not involved. Chronic high blood pressure controlled by meds.
Not currently under reliable medical care, due to no insurance.
Symptoms recently have been right groin pain for 3 months. Diagnosed as enlarged lymph nodes on physical exam and CT.
Right leg pain and heaviness. Severe foot and ankle swell that decreases very little after sleeping. Swelling and pain of the right foot started 6 weeks ago. CT Abdominal and Pelvic with contrast show only enlarged lymph nodes no known pathology. Ultrasound of right leg is negative for blockage or clots. Left foot has started swelling now for 1 week, not as much as the right side. I have a half sister who had a abdominal aorta block with successful repair when she was 40 years old.
I have been consulting with a NP at a county clinic but she states she has no idea what to do or how to proceed. Your expertise and advice would be wonderful. Thank you

did the ultrasound of your veins include the superficial system, looking for valvular incompetence? if not you may need another exam which looks at BOTH systems, for reflux, incompetence, diameter and speed of flow
if this test rules out venous disease and your heart is OK then by default, it may be lymphedema and you would need compression, serious compression which would include stockings or the special ace system for lymphedema control or even a compression pump (Jobst and others make them - for peripheral edema- lke a blood pressure cuff device that encloses your leg toes to groin and squeezes the fluid back to your heart ( will give you an idea what i mean
talk to your provider and see if these things make sense to her
best of luck, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota