Vascular Surgery/100 % blocked carotid

You have already answered that nothing can be done with 100% blocked carotid but can you tell me why?  Why wont they try and unblock it?  He has P.A.D.  Seven stints in left leg, 2 in right, 2 abdominal aorta bypasses.  He has had his legs, what I call rotor-rooted out about 5 times.  He is on blood thinners, cuumadin and plavix and lipotor, and he just had a T.I.A.  That's when we found out he has the 100% blocked carotid on the left side and he is 35% blocked on the right. Isn't there anything that can be done to keep him from having another stroke?

robin, oncee it is blocked 100% there is no place to bypass as the artery enters the skull, this link is the best explanation i have found, hope it helps, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota