Vascular Surgery/carotid re-occluding after surgery

Celine wrote at 2015-04-03 18:49:09
I am 59, last year I was diagnosed with TIA and a Doppler showed I had 80-98% stenosis of both Carotids. The left one was operated on in June and the right one in October. A intrasurgical Doppler showed the artery was 100% unblocked. I found out two weeks ago that the left Carotid blocked from 60-79% within the first month after the Endartectomy. It is impossible for it to be caused by a build-up of Arteriosclerosis.  This is my neurologist who told me this fact. He is a Stroke specialist. He said the cause is most likely either scarring that is unusually large or a clot or emboli. Any surgeon who actually did the original surgery and tells you it is Ateriosclerosis needs to be questionned and a second opinion is warranted and adviseable.  In my case the surgeon did not say a word about the restenosis ever and is not returning my calls. I was not told about this risk when offered the surgery. So I tend to disagree with the opinion of  Ms Ordway.  In any case I now find myself having to find another surgeon to do the Stent procedure since I cannot risk another Endartectomy on a Carotid that now has scar tissue in it. I am glad the neurologist told me as I would have ignored any TIA symptoms as being a figment of my imagination since I was told that both procedures were successful. So Steve do get another look at your situation.  If your Carotid is completely blocked, that means you have one less and so you may need to make sure you have a clean bill of health for the other one. Also sometimes what looks like  a complete blockage on Doppler can show it as a 98% blockage on other tests.

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota