Vascular Surgery/dark red patches on lower legs and feet

Question
dark red patch
dark red patch  
hi lauri, i have had my legs looked at for vein problems and it turns out that my legs had a venous insufficiency problem. i am overweight by about 100 pounds and have high blood pressure which being controlled. i also have dark red patches on my lower legs and feet. what i want to know is how do i get rid of these patches or is this condition permanent. i attached a photo of my red patches for you to look at. thank you.

Answer
Hi Christopher,
these patches are called hemosiderin deposition, sort of staining from the high venous pressure in your legs.  you cant get rid of it but you can prevent more from happening by treating the venous insufficiency. it may mean a surgical procedure such as ligation or phlebectomy, or a catheter technique called VNUS Closure depening on which veins are incompetent and if you are a candidate for intervention (surgery) somethings you can do to help prevent more problems include: weight loss, elevate legs whenever possible to increase blood drainage, avoiding prolonged standing or sitting, and regular exercise to increase circulation, if your doctor agrees wear 20-30mmg elastic stockings which can increase blood flow and relieve discomfort. usually these therapies will make your legs feel better and decrease progression of disease. the reason to get this fixed is the next symptom will likely be skin ulceration (sores, wounds) which are difficult to heal, the red staining is evidence of the venous disease and skin breakdown usually follows, taking care of yourself ow will provide a better outcome and increase your overall health.  see your doctor / vascular surgeon to review your ultrasound and plan your treatment,
hope this helps, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway