Vascular Surgery/Pvd

My 92 yr old father in law recently presented with severe foot pain. In er after cat scan, dx with severe pvd with occlusions in arteries of thigh and almost complete occlusions of lower leg arteries. Recommendations of leg amputation or do nothing and just medicate with morphine for pain relief. Also has 6 cm lung mass, 50%  occlusion with clot of pulmonary artery and a fib. Are there any other alternatives treatments. Amputation is so drastic, but doing nothing is ultimately death

i am sorry to hear this, it is such hard choices
before this, was he walking?  active? independent?
Has a peripheral vascular surgeon looked at him / his tests?
it is hard but if amputation is decided upon, make sure that there is bloodflow to the amputation site or it wont heal and another surgery may be needed
a vascular surgeon may offer a bypass around the occluded vessels if he is using the leg, walking active
i have seen some amazing relief with massage and exercise it has to be small increments, baby steps for the exercise - massage can stimulate the circulation and slow the process, also raising the head of the bed just a bit so the legs and little lower than heart, to reduce pain when sleeping / lying down
if his doctor agrees and it is not contraindicated for his heart
sounds like some of the other problems he has may limit the amount of surgery he can tolerate, i think tho, a visit to an experienced vascualr surgeon might help give you all a better picture of what is possible
best of luck, lauri  

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota