Vascular Surgery/severed vein in the leg

My boyfriend was shot in the leg 4 months ago.  The bullet severed a main vein in that leg. His foot on the same leg is really swollen and he was told that it was the lymph nodes and there's nothing that can be done. Will the swelling in that foot go away or is there some other underlying problem such as an infection in his foot.He says it doesn't hurt but it looks painful to me.  His skin is stretched that it looks shiny. I think there is some other issue going on with it.  Also, he has Type 2 Diabetes which is the reason for the slow healing process.  I'm just afraid that he may lose that foot and he may have been told that by the doctors and is in denial and chooses not to tell me everything.  What is your expert opinion?  Thanks!

hi, there is treatment for lymphedema, i am not an expert in that but here are the spots in Georgia where they are
Athens Regional Medical Center
Athens, GA 30606-2767 US
Piedmont Hospital
Atlanta, GA 30309 US
Southeastern Orthopedic Center: Savannah
Savannah, GA 31405-6736 US
SportsMedicineandRehabGwinnett Medical Center
Lawrenceville, GA 30045 US
Tuscan Sun Wellness Center
Decatur, GA 30030 US
Tuscan Sun: Ellijay
Ellijay, GA 30540 US

hope this helps lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota