Vascular Surgery/legbypass

QUESTION: My husband is 30 years old and had a popliteal aneurysm without knowing it. He had a sudden pain at the leg that drove us at the hospital but the doctors didnt diagnosed it. After a week of suffer we went again to ask for advice. Doctors found that he had aneurysm thrombosis and artery obstruction and that his leg was in danger and ischemia. After thrombolysis surgery, underwent (after 4 days of heparin) a popliteal bypass surgery. Now he recovers. I have read so much about leg bypasses and am afraid. I have lost my sleep. Doctors said us that are expecting collateral circulation to be generated because most vessels destroyed. I wonder if that will solve the problem of poor circulation and if is enough o save his leg. A search in the internet scared me. I read so much about graft patency (4 to 5 years) and really I cant understand what this means. Bypass surgery didnít gave us  a lifetime solution?  After 5 years he will need another surgery? He is  so young to have a bypass surgery and am afraid of the future.

ANSWER: I am so sorry, I read this and then got pulled away and finally am getting back to you- sorry.
you are correct, it is scary that the bypass may need to be repeated but there are thing he can to increase the longevity of bypass...collateral circulation IS amazing, with exercise, massage, proper nutrition he can increase that bypass' life.
daily exercise to increase bloodflow, massage to stimulate blood flow and diet to keep plaque at a minimum. the answer is simple, common sense, walking, massage and diet is the answer and of course routine ultrasounds, every 3-6 months, making sure the arteries remain open & healthy.
hope this helps. lauri

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply Lauri. What are you doing is so helpful for all of us. God bless you.

He walk 1 hour per day after work as possible. I just wonder if the collateral circulation can help us avoid surgeries in the future. Is just a very optimistic scenario (a wish) with few chances or is actually realistic?

He is very young and I cant imagine what a bypass surgery in this age practically means. We spared the worst scenario or he still faces the danger of limb loss in the future even if he routine ultrasounds and follows a healthy lifestyle (walking, diet, massage)? In the scenario of restenosis is there other options expept bypass?

What to you believe from your experience? I forgot to mention that he has no other disease or pathology. I know that I bombared you with questions and sorry for that.

Thanks again for your answer and help.

if he gets leg pain when walking he should walk only until he feels the pain, then stop and let the bloodflow return to the legs may take a few minutes and then walk again until painful...he shouldn't walk 'thru the pain' the leg pain
yes, if found early a restenosis can sometime be fixed by a minimally invasive technique rather than a re-do bypass, there are more and more minimally invasive (usually performed by peripheral vascular international radiologists
and the massage should be done by him to himself, this allows the nerves in fingers/ hands to connect to the brain an encourages the body to heal and balance.  massage therapist ca tech him techniques but he hud do massage at least daily, mybe in shower...
it is realistic...unless he keeps smoking then, he may as ell not do anything because the bypass WILL block off and he will need nother surgery- most surgeons i know have a rule of thumb, if t smokes they will repair bypass twice but third time it blocks, they will not rebypass, only amputate...not trying to scare you just telling truth
hope this helps

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaudís, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota