Vascular Surgery/Spider veins and muscle cramps?

Question
Hey there,

I'm 27/female, obese.

I have chronic cramps in my gastrocnemius, and I've started developing spider veins.

I've had lots of tests done to try and figure out why I have chronic cramping, and the doctor tells me to lose weight, but I'm struggling to lose weight.

I read that spider veins can be related to circulation, and so can muscle cramps.

Could they be related? Or just coincidence the veins are showing up on the backs of my legs?

Answer
Spider veins are usually caused by a backup of blood from varicose veins, but they may also result from sun exposure, injury or hormonal changes. obesity leads to all kinds of problems from varicose veins to sleep apnea, heart disease and so forth, you are so young, have you discussed weight loss surgery with your doctor?  leg cramps can be from a number of things including varicose veins, dehydration, decreased potassium / magnesium. I know it is hard to lose weight, I am overweight too, I know its hard, but at 27, you have so much to enjoy and accomplish! talk with your doc about more help than telling you what to do! I hope this helps, lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway