Vascular Surgery/Discomfort at incision site

Surgery was perfomed Jan 8, 2015 to remove 2 blockages in artery on the right leg.  Initially there was severe pain above the knee and numbness in the inner thigh.  That has improved however  pain and discomfort remains around the incision site.   It feels hard as if there is a straw inside.  It is uncomfortable to bend.  Also have the sensation that the skin is going to tear open.  Visally it appears that the incison was not closed properly - the skin is buckled on the one side.  What are these sensations attibuted to and it is normal?  What is the normal recovery time? Is there anything I can do to speed recovery?  I do manual labor and need to return to work.

sorry, i answered this earlier but must not have clicked the send button.
i wondered is this a vein graft or a synthetic graft?
have you had your fist ultrasound yet?
the incision itself does not look so terrible, the hardness is natural, it is from the scar tissue the body produces to allow the incision to heal
it does feel like a straw or a worm along the incision
however, you need to call your surgeon and let him know how you are feeling, make an appointment to an ultrasound to make sure things are working well
i hope this helps

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota