Vascular Surgery/leg pain

Hi,my question is for my husband who four years ago suffered a stroke at the age of 36. He had two operations on both carotid arterys in his neck as one was blocked and the 95% blocked, this being the cause of his stroke. During both operations he had a piece of vein taken from the inside of his legs near the groin and placed into the artery in the neck. Both operations were a success and he went on to make a full recovery get his licence back and continued working as a HGV driver. The only problem being he has suffered with pains in his legs ever since his surgery. He lives on pain killers and even went back to his surgeon about this pain but doesnt seem to be able to get any answers from anyone. If you could give any indications to what this may be we would be very grateful.

hi, sorry, i read this earlier and got distracted and forgot to get back to you. i would suggest he ask his vascular surgeon for an ultrasound of the arteries in the belly and legs to make sure the blood flow there is working as expected. if he had problems with the carotid arteries, it is possible he has problems with other arteries as they are all part of the same system. an ultrasound is a non invasive way to see if this is the problem, it may have nothing to do with the veins harvested, rather a narrowing of arteries in the belly, groin or legs. i hope this helps, i know that kind of pain is excruciating. lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota