Vascular Surgery/ANEURYSM IN CHILD

Question
ALEX\'S HAND AGE 11, 03/10/15
ALEX'S HAND AGE 11, 03  

ALEX HAND 03/10/15
ALEX HAND 03/10/15  
MY 11 YEAR OLD SON JUST GOT DIAGNOSED BY A HAND SURGEON WITH AN ANEURYSM OF THE PALMER ARCH. I KNOW THIS IS VERY RARE AND VERY FEW CHILDREN HAVE HAD IT IN MEDICAL HISTORY, AND ONLY A HANDFUL OF ADULTS. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. EVEN HIS PRIMARY DOCTOR AGREE'S THAT THE HAND SURGEON IS NOT THE RIGHT ONE FOR THE SURGERY BECAUSE IT MAY REQUIRE RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY OF THE VEINS WITH MICROSURGERY AMONG OTHER THINGS. BUT THERE ISNT ANYONE THAT I HAVE SPOKEN WITH WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS INJURY. IN ADDITION, ALL THE KNOWN MEDICAL CASES IN CHILDREN OR ADULTS SEEM TO HAVE HAPPENED AFTER SURGERY OR FROM A BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA. MY SONS WAS BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA, BUT WHAT MAKES HIM DIFFERENT IS THAT HIS SKIN WAS NOT TORN OR CUT DURING TRAUMA, THERE WAS NO ABRASION AT ALL. IN FACT, HE MANAGED TO DO THIS UP IN HIS ROOM WHILE PLAYING AROUND WITH HIS FIVE YEAR OLD BROTHER. I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH AND MY FINDINGS OF A TOTAL OF EIGHT PEOPLE HAVE HAD THIS TYPE OF ANEURYSM IS MEDICAL HISTORY THAT WAS RECORDED. THREE CHILDREN AND FIVE ADULTS. IN MY RESEARCH THERE IS ONLY ONE RECORD OF THIS BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA WITHOUT SKIN ABRASION I COULD FIND, AND IT HAPPENED TO A RAILROAD WORKER IN 1911. PLEASE DIRECT ME TO THE RIGHT SURGEON. IT WOULD BE IDEAL IF I COULD TAKE HIM TO A SURGEON WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS TYPE OF ANEURYSM, BUT I KNOW THAT MIGHT NOT BE POSSIBLE. THANK YOU

Answer
Although rare, as mentioned this can happen with sufficient force to the hand.  The child needs an angiogram or MRA to evaluate the communicating vascular components, if not already done.  Given the age of the child it is important to determine if this is a pseudo aneurysm vs real (more likely pseudo since related to trauma).  Since the hand is supplied by both the radial and ulnar arteries,  the anatomic distribution of supply of the aneurysm is important because it can potentially be embolized if digital arteries are not supplied by the injured area.  Otherwise, a team approach to the repair may be necessary.  Biggest thing is imaging to see whats damaged then I could render more repair/fix discussions.

this is from a terrific vasc surgeon in Oklahoma
lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway