Vascular Surgery/aortic bifemoral bypass

Question
I had aortic bifemoral bypass surgery 7 weeks ago. The last couple of weeks I have pins and needles in both inner thighs, and sometimes a burning sensation on the right side of the aortic incision. It's not all the time but seems to get worse as the day progresses. I live 2 hours away from the vascular clinic and am a bit concerned now.

Answer
I wonder when your first postop ultrasound is scheduled...i would hope it is within the next week, by 8 weeks out, you should be scheduled for your ultrasound next week...if not, you should contact your vascular surgeon, describe the symptoms and ask for an appointment to see the surgeon and get the ultrasound. you should be scheduled for ultrasound appointments for the rest of your life, usually our patients are in for an US at 4, 8 weeks postop and every 6 months for a couple of years then annually for the rest of your life. These bypasses are great, last many years and so long as you are not smoking, rarely require re-do surgery. but the faithful followup care is most important.
for now again i suggest you get on the phone tomorrow and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and make an appt to see him early in the week.

pin and needles and burning pain are usually indicate some nerve irritation, at your appt, ask your surgeon if he is OK with you doing self-massage to reduce these sensations.
i hope this helps but most importantly see your surgeon
lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway