Vascular Surgery/Facing amputation decision

My husband had a by pass in his leg in May 8. Leg & foot are still swollen & doctors at St Michael hospital in Toronto want to amputate his leg below the knee or above it. My concern is that they didn't check if there is any other blockage or blockage where the bypass is & resulted of poor blood flow & circulation. They want us to mAke decision for amputation. My husband doesn't have any infection, not diabetic. Is there any treatment out there can save his leg?

it is hard to say with this little information but you can always ask for another opinion, many patients have bypass and re-bypass, it depends on whats wrong. for sure if you face amputation ask for a transcutaneous oxygen test which measures where the amputation will heal best. it is easy to choose the below knee site then find it cant heal the incision- if it will only heal above knee then go there first to save two amputations. I am sorry I cant say more. best of luck lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota