Vascular Surgery/Cellulitus

Question
Hello I hope you can help with this . Sorry if its out of your expertise.
I will take anything you can offer .

In July of 2015 I got cellulitus in my left lower leg. Big red rash swelling, pain , fever. . I was put on antibiotics through an IV for about 6 days and then another week on oral antibiotics.

It seemed to heal and the doctors were pleased with my progress but told me that it could take a really long time to heal. Many months they said.
Now here we are about 7 months later. I feel fine, my leg looks fine and I have recovered .
The problem is this.
During the time I had cellulitus my CRP ( c-reactive protein was very high ) my usual doctor retested it in November and it was still high ( at 19) I did have a very painful toothache at the time of the blood draw though.
My question to you is how long does it take for Cellulitus to heal? Some people tell me it can take up to 18 months sometimes depending on how bad the infection was. I know mind was very bad.
I am just wondering if it could still be causing my body to show inflammation?
Again I am sorry if this is out of your expertise. I do hope you can help me.

Answer
hi
cellulitis can clear up and reappear, this is from Medscape:

Generally, no workup is required in uncomplicated cases of cellulitis that meet the following criteria:

• Limited area of involvement

• Minimal pain

• No systemic signs of illness (eg, fever, chills, dehydration, altered mental status, tachypnea, tachycardia, hypotension)

• No risk factors for serious illness (eg, extremes of age, general debility, immunocompromised status)

Because the bacterial etiology of cellulitis in typical cases is expected to represent streptococcal and, less commonly, staphylococcal infection, additional procedures are also usually unnecessary. However, in more severe disease or unique clinical scenarios, additional procedures may be indicated.

For serious infections, perform a blood culture, Gram stain, and culture of needle aspiration or punch biopsy specimens to pinpoint the etiology.[2] Blood cultures are only positive in 5-15% of patients with cellulitis. Aspiration of the leading edge of cellulitis margins rarely yields positive results but may be performed if clinicians are facing difficult situations.

The IDSA recommends bloodwork for patients with soft-tissue infection who have signs and symptoms of systemic toxicity; such tests include blood cultures, complete blood cell (CBC) with differential, and levels of creatinine, bicarbonate, creatine phosphokinase, and C-reactive protein (CRP).[2]

Considerations for hospitalization

The IDSA also recommends considering inpatient admission in the presence of hypotension and/or the following laboratory findings: an elevated creatinine level; an elevated creatine phosphokinase level (2-3 times the upper limit of normal [ULN]); a CRP level >13 mg/L (123.8 mmol/L); a low serum bicarbonate level; or a marked left shift on the CBC with differential.[2]

If a complicated or deep infection is suspected, imaging studies and/or surgical consultations should be done promptly.[2]

I hope this helps! lauri

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway