Vascular Surgery/blood flow to toes

Question
QUESTION: MY MOM IS DIABETIC AND ALSO ON DIALYSIS FOR KIDNEY FAILURE ...SHE HAS DRY GANGRENE ON HER BIG TOE ITS DRYING UP N THE VASCULAR SURGEON SAID HE CAN EITHER TAKE THE TOE OFF OR LET IT FALL OFF... HE ALSO SAID HE CANT DO A LEG BYPASS TO GET BLOOD INTO HER TOES HE DID DO A STENT IN HER LEG AS WELL AS DOING ANOTHER PROCEDURE GOING THRU THE GROIN FOR MORE BLOOD FLOW DOWN THE LEG...IS THERE ANOTHER OPTION TO GET BLOOD FLOW INTO HER TOES I AM NOT EXCEPTING THAT HE SAID SHE WILL LOSE HER TOES...THANK YOU,ANNE

ANSWER: hi, i always think its smarter to let the toe drop off, its less for the body to heal with amputation, if vascular surgeon is confident he can restore blood flow, i would certainly consider that as a good option, there is much information needed for that decision which the surgeon has and i do not, but bypass is a great chance at feeling better and keeping the leg and if that is the end result of not doing bypass, she will have to undergo surgery to take the leg, so why not take a chance to save the leg with restoration of blood to the leg / foot
hope this helps lauri

QUESTION: The vascular surgeon said he CAN'T do a bypass in her leg he said there is nothing to bypass..so my question to you is how can my mom get blood flow to her toes she has it in her leg and foot just not in her toes..thank you,anne

Answer
Sorry, Misread your info. I do not know any way to get blood to the toes if bypass is not available, I have seen some success with exercise and massage but it is not nearly as effective as surgery. Sorry I misunderstood you.  I would have to defer to the surgeon who can lay hands on her to make assessments and who has her medical history. Lauri  

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway