Vascular Surgery/leg veins

Hi Lauri,

I'm a 61 year old man, 5'11", 190 lbs, take no meds, non-smoker and no family history.

I currently work 40 hrs or more a week while walking and standing on concrete floors. In 2014, I was working many hours, 50-60 hrs/wk and some weeks 70 hrs. I think that was when the damage happened. Prior to that year, my legs felt and looked great, no spider veins and no aching. Since then, I've developed some spider veins in back of my left calf and a swollen or enlarged vein on my right front calf just below the knee. I prop both legs up when I get home to help with the aching.

I had an ultrasound done at a vein clinic and they recommended Scleratherapy for the spider veins and Vnus Closure for the enlarged vein.

I had the Scleratherapy done but haven't decided on the Vnus Closure. When I don't have to be on my feet all day, my legs feel fine.

I'm planning on retiring in Jan 2017 and I'm pondering whether I should have the Closure done. I've read some excellent reviews about this procedure and also some bad.

I haven't asked the doctor about the cost of the Closure but looking online I see prices from $750 and up. I live in Virginia.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether I should I have the Closure done or any other comments you might have.

Thanks, John

hi, I recommend you get the closure, in the hands of an experienced surgeon, this is a safe, minimally invasive procedure. Your veins wont get better and more veins will become bothersome. Most insurance covers Closure for medical necessity so if your ultrasound confirms you have an incompetent greater saphenous vein AND it is symptomatic, you should be covered. I would double check with insurance to be sure but if you have pain, swelling, itching, fragile skin etc, you should be covered. without closure you will be wearing compression socks forever. take the time to recover properly and follow the postoperative instructions, get it done! hope this helps LAuri  

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota