Vascular Surgery/Sclerotherapy - no different

I recently (end of May) had sclerotherapy on a reticular vein behind my knee and several very small spider veins on my calves and thighs. I followed the instructions for after care, avoided hot showers, wore compression stockings for 3 weeks etc. I haven't noticed any change at all. Is it possible it still might work or it just didn't take for me?

I'm not overweight, I walk/run a few days a week, elevate my legs when I can etc. I know its a common problem but it's incredibly frustrating and causes me to have a lot of body shame.

ANSWER: did you have an ultrasound first to see if there is an underlying superficial venous insufficiency that needs treatment? if you have insufficiency the pressure from that can prevent sclerotherapy from working well

QUESTION: Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes I did and they said everything was working fine. I had it done at a big hospital in Boston.,

well I am sure sorry you had a bad result, sclerotherapy is not a treatment I am enamored of nor see used often, I am sorry  cant really offer any advice, if they did the tests first, I don't have any other suggestions other than letting the provider know that you are dissatisfied with the results and see if there is an opportunity for with more or different treatment of a refund of some sort.sorry

Vascular Surgery

Lauri Ordway

I can answer your questions related to your circulation, your peripheral vascular system. This includes all arteries and veins except those inside the head and inside the heart. For example, neck (carotid), arms (carotid subclavian bypasses to Thoracic Outlet) belly (aortic aneurysm & occlusive disorders, renal artery stenosis), legs (iliac, femoral, popliteal, peroneal, dorasalis pedis, posterior and anterior tibial) arteries. Aneurysm & occlusive disease, atherosclerosis, leg pain, arterial wounds and gangrene, amputation prevention. Arterial Bypass, Reynaud’s, Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans), Thoracic Outlet and other circulation disorders. Vein disorders: Blood Clots (DVT), post-phlebetic syndrome, varicose veins, venous stasis ulcers. I can help with vascular wounds from diagnosis to treatments. I have worked extensively with VNUS Closure and EVLT (Laser) for varicose veins and can describe pre and post procedure expectations and describe the procedures themselves. I can't help with spider veins or cosmetic vein treatment, we don't do it. I have 15 years of wound care experience, arterial, venous, trauma and diabetic wounds for example. **I CANNOT answer questions about STENTS or STENTING, heart disease, blood pressure, brain aneurysm although I can help with questions about the arteries that go to and from those organs.

I am a nurse, I worked for 15 years with two terrific peripheral vascular surgeons, and one of them is also the inventor of very innovative wound care products and surgical instruments to make vascular surgery procedures better and faster. I wrote and manage the clinic website and field questions from patients all over the world. I am now working with another vascular surgeon and wound care expert, which has given me an opportunity to widen my horizons as I learn another excellent physician's preferences and benefit from his experiences in this amazing specialty.

I am an LPN, licensed in Minnesota