Veganism/raw food

what do u think of the raw food diet? is there a way to know if the wheat is GMO or not? i buy whole wheat a lot to make sprouted wheat. and how many times a week is it okay to eat dessert? once or twice or thrice? thanks.

Hi Salma,

Thanks for contacting me.

I think a raw-food diet has its place, especially if one is fighting disease or just wants better overall health. Personally, I don't eat a one hundred percent raw diet but I do tend to consume more raw foods during the summer months. If you do decide to eat only raw foods, make sure your nutritional needs are met and that you're consuming the "required" amount of protein for basic repair and proper immune function.

I wouldn't worry about GMO wheat because it's not grown anywhere in the world as of yet. There were plans to introduce it in North American back in 2004 but, for some reason, it never happened. Try to add more variety in your diet. Kamut and spelt are part of the wheat family and they are nutritious. Perhaps you can sprout them, too.

As for desserts, the more you eat, the more your health suffers. Of course, it all depends on what kind of "sugar" is in the dessert. Cane, agave, fructose are all bad for you. The first immediately raised blood triglycerides and feeds cancer cells and yeast. The other two attack the liver even though they are low glycemic. However, if you make a raw dessert just using organic fruits, then you could eat that every day. For example, freeze some chopped bananas and blend them in your food processor for a nice banana ice cream. You could even make a banana cream pie using a nut crust, bananas, and coconut cream sweetened with stevia extract or drops. Heather Pace's "Sweetly Raw" blog has some delicious raw desserts that you can try out, but please substitute agave with stevia:

If there's anything else on your mind, feel free to contact me again.

All the best.

E. Barrios

I can answer any question you may have about the vegan diet and culture. Specifically, how to make a successful transition from a meat-based or vegetarian diet. How to maintain your health while on a vegan diet. The foods you should consume and the ones you should avoid. Also, how to deal with difficult people who just won't accept your new lifestyle.

I've been a vegan for over twenty years and bring a wealth of knowledge. Over this long period of time, I have experienced all the pit falls the come about from adopting a vegan way of life. This includes diet, activism, verbal attacks, and ethics.

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree (cum laude) from Hunter College.