Vegetarian Foods/Chicken and seafood.

Question
Deb
I have not eaten red meat for a month now, and I am feeling a bit better. I have lost a bit of weight, and my digestion is better.
I feel I am slowly trying to walk the vegetarian way, but am still eating poultry and seafood.
I cannot find a good reason, apart from the ethical treatment of chickens and farm raised fish, to exclude them. I have never heard of someone getting obese or heart disease/cancer from eating chicken or fish-as opposed to red meat.
Since I am an older guy, with no desire to become a chef, it is easy to make a turkey sandwich or open a can of sardines.
If there were legitimate health reasons to give up seafood and fish I would.
Do you know of ant, and do you think I should keep up being a non red meat eater? Thanks!

Answer
Dear Barry,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Congratulations on your weight loss and improved digestion.

There are many arguments both for and against poultry and seafood. I tend to favor a plant-based diet for a few key reasons:

1. High fiber diets help prevent numerous diseases, including heart disease and colon cancer.

2. Plant-based diets include dramatically less saturated (bad) fats and dramatically more polyunsaturated (good) fats than animal diets.

3. The cost savings of a plant-based diet cannot be understated in today's economy.

4. The feeding and care of animals adds far more chemicals to our groundwater than organic farming. This is an area I'd recommend you research in deciding whether or not to continue eating poultry.

5. There is much more diversity to a plant-based diet than a meat-based one.

I could go on, but those are the ones I thought of first.

I haven't eaten beef, poultry, or pork in more than 20 years. I don't miss them at all.

Even if you're not a cook, there are quite a few books and recipes available, especially through vegetarian food blogs, that offer quick and simple plant-based recipes that are very tasty.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Deb  

Vegetarian Foods

Deb Schiff