Vegetarian Foods/rhubarb

Question
rhubarb
rhubarb  
does turnip have rhubarb
does turnip have rhuba  
QUESTION: I am susan and wanna make a cusine. I need rhubarb for that. I dont kno what rhubarb is. I downloded its pic and when i see this turnip it looked that the leaves coming frm it look like rhubarb. Is it really rhubarb plz help. I have to make a cusine.

ANSWER: Hi, Susan,

I have no idea what a 'cusine' is, but Rhubarb is a the picture below - it looks sort of like red celery.  The leaves are toxic, so do not cook or eat them, but the stems are wonderful.  They can be a bit sour, so depending on your recipe, you might need to add some sugar.  If you send me your recipe I can try to decipher a bit more for you.  You DEFINITELY DO NOT want to use any part of the turnip for this recipe.  Rhubarb grows all on it's own, with nothing below ground coming as part of what you are looking for.

Ask your grocer to help you with finding rhubarb.  I don't know where you live and if it's in season where you are, but I'll bet you can find some in the frozen fruits section.

Good luck.

Debba

QUESTION: Thanks debba, the word CUSINE actually was CUISINE. I make to much spellin mistakes. But i wanna kno when (in which season and month) does rhubarb grows and is its root are used as herb? Does it has roots as turnip? I hav never seen or eat it.

Answer
Wikipedia says:

"Rhubarb is now grown in many areas and, thanks to greenhouse production, is available throughout much of the year. Rhubarb grown in hothouses (heated greenhouses) is called hothouse rhubarb, and is typically made available at consumer markets in early spring, before outdoor cultivated rhubarb is available. Hothouse rhubarb is usually brighter red, more tender and sweeter-tasting than outdoor rhubarb.[2] In temperate climates, rhubarb is one of the first food plants to be ready for harvest, usually in mid- to late spring (April/May in the Northern Hemisphere, October/November in the Southern Hemisphere, and the season for field-grown plants lasts until September. In the northwestern US states of Oregon and Washington, typically two harvests are from late April to May and from late June into July. Rhubarb is ready to be consumed as soon as it is harvested, and freshly cut stalks will be firm and glossy."

"Rhubarb will grow year-round in warm climates, but in temperate climates, the aboveground portion of the plant completely withers away at the onset of freezing temperature; the plant grows from the root at the return of warm weather. Rhubarb growth can be 'forced' or encouraged to grow early by raising the local temperature, usually by placing an upturned bucket over the new shoots. Because rhubarb is a seasonal plant, obtaining fresh rhubarb out of season is difficult in colder climates, such as in the UK, Ireland, Russia, etc. Rhubarb will thrive when planted in areas of direct sunlight."

"Rhubarb root produces a rich brown dye similar to walnut husks. It is used in northern regions where walnut trees do not survive"

"Rhubarb can be used as a strong laxative. Its roots have been used as a laxative for at least 5,000 years."

"Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances"

I encourage you to read Wiki to get the complete text. I copied only portions I thought would pertain to your specific questions.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ ... this website ought to answer any other questions you might have, including hundreds of recipes.

Debba

Vegetarian Foods

Deborah Robinson