Vegetarian Foods/squash flour

I am experimenting with making flour out of squash. I grated and dried fresh summer squash, then ground it in a coffee grinder. I substituted 1/2 flour in a cookie recipe (1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 squash flour). The bottoms of the cookie darkened too quickly, and the cookies were a bit crumbly. Do you have experience with squash flour? Must you use winter rather than summer squash? Should it be cooked or steamed prior to grinding? Should I add a small amount of gluten and a little more liquid to recipes? Rather than "reinventing the wheel," I thought perhaps someone ahead of me has already figured this out. Thank you.

Hello Dawn,

Unfortunately, I've never experimented with squash flour, therefore I can't be of much help. However, I think that adding gluten flour or using more whole wheat flour than squash flour could help. You could also try using dried fruit purée instead of sugar in your recipe to help the cookies hold together more without crumbling. One of the cookie recipes (Cranberry Apricot Cookies) in my cookbook contains 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt, 1/4 cup oil, 3/4 cup dried apricot purée (simmer dried apricots in water until soft, purée apricots without liquid until smooth), cranberries, millet, lemon zest, and spices. The cookies always hold together well and don't crumble. You can bake the cookies on tray liners (wax paper) to help them darken a bit less quickly on the bottom.

I wouldn't suggest cooking or steaming to make squash flour. I would only cook or steam the squash if I wanted to make squash purée (which could also be used in baked goods). I'm not sure as to what you mean by summer squash (zucchini perhaps?) and winter squash (butternut, acorn, pumpkin?), therefore I can't comment on that questions.

Please let me know if you are successful in the end and if you have any more questions.

Best of luck,

Vegetarian Foods

Aurélie Pare

I'm a the author of The Healthaliciously Good Cookbook. I can answer any questions regarding vegetarian/vegan/healthy cooking and can offer recipe suggestions and tips to those new to healthy eating. I can also suggest ways to prepare certain foods that you may not be familiar with (such as quinoa, teff, and pomegranates). I specialize in cooking with whole grains, legumes, flaxseeds, and nuts and in cooking without sugar, eggs, dairy, trans fat, gluten. and wheat. I can't answer any questions asking for specific nutritional advice or medical advice.

I am the author of The Healthaliciously Good Cookbook (, which was very well recieved by its prepublication reviewers, who were authors and dietitians.

I do not have any education in the cooking field, although I have taken basic nutrition courses.