Vehicle Lease vs Buy/should I reveal upfront that I want to lease vs buy?

Question
Cheryl, I plan to lease a car this spring. I've read that when buying a new car, to first nail down the purchase price before anything else. Should I not tell the salesperson upfront that I want to lease and not buy? Or does it not matter to them, as far as the price of the car goes?  Thanks

Answer
Lee, that is a great question.  If you want your consultant to answer your questions about leasing you should be upfront about your intentions.  I understand why some recommend that you do not "give too much information up front".

Your first step in the process should be. Picking out a vehicle that fits your needs & budget.
(bottom line) should be negotiated up front.

After you have decided that the vehicle fits your needs and the bottom line has been negotiated, you will then ask for both, lease numbers and finance numbers.  Compare a 60 month purchase with a 36 month lease.  If either number is too high for your budget, you have picked out the wrong vehicle.

To answer your question specifically, No it does not matter if you divulge the information.  Your objective is to compare the lease number against the finance number AFTER you have discussed the "cash" price.

"The Mercedes Lady"
Cheryl Bowman

Vehicle Lease vs Buy

Cheryl Bowman