Sexually Transmitted Diseases/expanding rash on inner thighs, scrotum

Question
Hi, I first want to thank you for your dedication to this site, it shows a lot.

My name is Clayton, I am an 18 year old coloured male from Cape Town, South Africa. In June of this year I developed a rash spanning from the sides of my scrotum to my lower pelvis and inner thighs. It has developed a darker colour (I am non-white) than the rest of my skin, and starts itching often.

I have a bad habit of scratching open the skin as it is very weak. Initially I thought it would pass, now it grows bigger and will not heal. I am a very clean guy and make sure that my genitals stay that way. My penis itself is not affected in any way.

I do have medical aid, but am too embarrassed to visit my dermatologist until I get an idea of whether or not I should be worried. I don't have any sexual confidence and have stopped showering at gym.

Please help me, I'm really scared. Thank you so much.

Answer
Hello Clayton,
A photograph sometimes helps with skin diagnoses! But your description sounds very much like a skin fungal infection. I don't know what type of skin antifungal medications are available without a prescription at your local pharmacy, but I would check in the athlete's foot section and search for a cream with one of these active ingredients:  terbinefine, tolnaftate, miconazole. Apply according to the instructions for at least a week or two, to all skin areas affected by your rash, regardless of the itching.

Good luck! Hope it goes away soon!
--mark

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar