Sexually Transmitted Diseases/General Genital Wart questions

Question
QUESTION: Mark,

I was hoping you could answer a few of my questions about genital warts for me.

1) Once a bump is noticeable, if it is genital warts, how fast would growth be seen into a more obvious genital wart, (Such as the finger-like projections or cauliflower growth)? I know that acurrate time frames cannot be given, but would it be something seen overnight, in a week, or a month? Like slow or fast growing?

2)Would a genital wart stretch with skin? Or would the skin surrounding it stretch, and the wart remain its original size?

3)If a family physician were to look at your penis and feel it, stretching the skin, and conclude it is just a normal penile variation, would you trust him or get a second opinion?

Thanks and let me know,

Sean

ANSWER: Hi Sean,
Once a bump is noticeable, it is in fact a wart. The human papillomavirus (HPV) is "subclinical," meaning it isn't easily observable or obvious, without special techniques. Once a bump is visible, than it may be a fast or slow growing wart, which may in part depend on the strain of HPV, and the number of viruses present, and the immune system's reaction to the wart. A pregnant woman, for instance, has her immune system suppressed to allow for the unimpeded growth and development of the fetus-- which is a combination of foreign proteins from the father and would be rejected by a fully functioning and competent immune system, and the proteins from the mother. Such immune system suppression usually causes very rapid growth of warts. As soon as baby is delivered and immune system "turns itself on again," the warts frequently are gone, regressing without treatment!  The faster the wart grows, the faster it usually succumbs to medical treatments; and vice versa-- slow growers respond much more slowly to medical treatments. There are, of course many exceptions to these rules!

HPV infects the top layer of epithelial skin (usually anogenital skin, but not always). The virus accelerates cell growth. So the wart itself is really just aberrant epithelial skin, unrestrained by the immune system and the cell's internal mechanisms to "naturally die" or slow growth to normal growth.

So a wart might stretch, just as it's underlying skin. If a family physician or health care provider has experience with warts, than I would trust them. Experience is an important component of knowledge here!

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: ok, thank you for your quick response. But in regards to my first question, what would you consider fast growth? I believe that my bump has been around forever, but I just noticed it due to dry skin and extra examination down there. If I were to see no growth in lets say 1-2 months, can I safely assume that it is nothing at all? Once again, my doctor did tell me it was nothing to worry about, but I do want to keep a close eye on it.

thanks again!
Sean

Answer
Hi Again, Sean,
Fast growth is over several weeks time. However a wart will not keep growing. It may grow quickly for several weeks, than persist, as the immune system may be trying to keep the wart from growing or replicating. Everyone is different! Every wart may be different, and a particular wart may be comprised of cells infected with more than one wart virus strain. If you see no growth or changes in 1-2 months, it may still be a wart!  The good news is that warts are more infectious during periods of active growth (which induces more viral growth and shedding of infectious viral particles).  A second piece of good news, is that your sex partners have probably already been infected with HPV, one of the consequences of sex with another partner.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar