Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Help confused

QUESTION: I've been wondering what happened to my penis. I had sex with one of my friend, unprotected sex. Nothing happened after that and i never involve in sex or anything sexual after her. Few months later i saw  a small lesion on penis, it turned into scar and soon it become small tiny bump. I have no problem during urination and it doesn't hurt when i touch it. When i research on the net i found the bump look almost the same like genital warts. Now i'm confused, am i having genital warts or just normal skin irritation? I've attached a picture. Please help thank you

ANSWER: Hello Adrian,
Your penis looks fine in the photograph, but sometimes photographs do not properly convey the extent of the problem as you see in in real life! The bump which I have trouble seeing in the image, may be a normal cosmetic change that happens to all skin periodically. It may also be a small wart, which may in fact take several months to actually turn into a visible wart after infection with the HPV virus. If it continues to grow, or if you can switch your phone/camera to a macro mode so that the affected area is larger, perhaps I can reassess!

Good luck!

Tiny bump
Tiny bump  

Tiny bump
Tiny bump  
QUESTION: Sorry for the quality of the picture, i have a attached 2 better pictures for your reference. I plan to go visit the clinic but i am shy and i don't know what to tell my doctor. Suggest me on how to tell me doctor about my condition?

Hello Again, Adrian,
Thanks for the better quality photos. You should inform your doctor that you have "cluster of small bumps on the underside of your penis that you think may be warts." Hopefully, they will confirm the diagnosis and treat you appropriately. Nothing to be shy about!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons