Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Small red bumps on penis

Question
Small red bumps
Small red bumps  
QUESTION: Hi, Mark, 2 days ago I noticed about 7 tiny bumps scattered from the middle of my shaft to the head, they were red with whiteish tips, like very small pimples, but they don't really hurt.  My pubic region in general has been mildly itchy the past couple days.  The bumps can't be popped or squeezed out.  I had just spent about 30 hours sitting in the same position in a car driving across the country, and their appearance coincided with an outbreak of pimples on my buttocks, so I consider it could be related to not showering/skin irritation from the long road trip, however, about a month ago the condom broke during intercourse and so I am concerned it could be warts or some other STD.  The image I am attaching is a little bit out of focus, I would say the bumps are even smaller than they appear.  They are much like the bumps on one's nipples.  Thank you for your time!

ANSWER: Hi Dylan,
The photo is rather out of focus. These bumps are probably  not an STD, but may be pimples, mild folliculitis, hair bumps, fordyce spots, molluscum contagiosum. Give yourself a week of moist heat to the affected skin, followed by some antibiotic cream or ointment. If it does not get better than it may be due to a skin virus, such as molluscum, or fordyce spots, a normal variation.

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: Mark,

Thank you for your advice.  I sought care at a county clinic and the bumps were diagnosed as molloscum.  They recommended I just make sure to wash it about twice daily and otherwise leave it alone until it heals.  Would you recommend any other treatment options that might hasten the healing process?  I was looking into different creams, essential oils, etc., but I am not sure if they are safe to use on the penile shaft.  Thanks again!

Answer
Hi Again, Dylan,
Molluscum is caused by a skin virus; disrupting the top of the lesion with a sterile needle (not recommended to do yourself!) or with a topical medical acid (available from most doctor's office) may be effective. Good luck!
--mark

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar