Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Sore on penis... looked like bite and turned worse... herpes?

Question
picture 1
picture 1  

picture 2
picture 2  
Hello!

I found this site through some research and feel like it is exactly what I have been looking for.  I am currently very concerned.

I have a sore on my penis towards the base that I cannot figure out if it is herpes or not.  

timeline
4 years ago found out I had genital warts.  2+ years ago warts are completely gone and have never come back.  I never had sex again until exactly 9 weeks ago.  we used protection and I am 100% sure she did not have herpes.  

around 2 weeks ago I notice a red looking bug bite on my penis (just a small pinkish bump).  It looked no different than any other bite/bump on my body I have had growing up and was not too concerned.  It was hardly noticeable especially when erect.  However after about a week I decided to use some Neosporin after reading skin ointment may help.  From that day on it progressively got worse and I continued using for four days straight.  After about 24 hours of discontinued use I feel like it has got better already though that may be entirely in my mind.  What was a bump turned more into a sore after I started using the Neosporin and as mentioned now looks *much* worse though I do see improvement after just leaving it alone for a day.  I now fear this is herpes but have a hard time believing this due to the timeline. Please help!  Very worried.  

Derek in Arlington

Note about picture...  prior to my self treatment everything was just slightly pink.  after treatment the sore in the middle appeared and the pink outer circle is now a bit darker.

Answer
Hello Derek,
Sometimes it is easier to say what something ISN'T, than what it IS.  It is NOT herpes. It is NOT a wart or from HPV. It looks like an acute skin problem UNRELATED to your having a sexually transmitted infection.  Neosporin cream sometimes generates an allergic type reaction because of its active ingredient, neosporin. Dermatologists always discourage the use of this particular topical antibiotic cream/ointment; use any product that does NOT have that ingredient! Note, the "triple antibiotic" creams usually use neosporin as one of the three.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar