Sexually Transmitted Diseases/wart like clusters on penis head

bumpy head
bumpy head  

bumpy head
bumpy head  
Hi mate i am 23 years old and live in cairns, Australia i have recently noticed tiny wart like clusters on the head of my penis. They seem to be growing bigger in size and also are beginning to multiply and spread out. I hav attached an photo it is in a flacid state so it isnot as noticeable but hopfully you can help me out still. They are almost getting irritated to touch and when i run cold water on the head it tingles. I masturbate alot and also have a very sexual relationship with my partner. They appeared about 8 mnths ago and i am baffled! i also have a big wart on the inside of my middle finger and another one on the bottom of my left foot dont know if they are related to the penis bumps. When my penis is errect they become more visible wart like papules all over. It hasnt effected the sides and of the head or the shaft but just wonder if its only a matter of time before my whole penis is covered. Please get back to me i am desperate for an answer. Cheers

Hi James,
Your penis looks fine. The tiny bumps you see are part of the normal skin variations that sometimes are visible on the glans (head) of the penis. It may appear smoother at times, or a bit rougher, but they are all parts of the normal variation in skin, and are NOT related to HPV/warts. Unfortunately, I cannot see you in person to provide more reassurance. However, a doctor/dermatologist may be able to provide you with that reassurance, after an appropriate examination of the skin.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons