Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Red bumps on shaft of penis

Question
red bumps
red bumps  

red bumps
red bumps  
Hi I'm Adam. I'm 19 years old. I did have sexual contact with a girl. She told me she was clean and some of the sex was unprotected. I am worried that the red dots I see on the shaft of my penis are herpes or another type of STD. It really has me worried.

I did shave my pubic area for the first time, and I do masturbate so I am hoping it is just redness from irritation and not anything serious. Please help if you can.

Answer
Hi Adam,
The red rash looks like a bacterial skin infection, not related to an STD. However both you and your friend are well advised to get STD testing, including blood tests for syphilis. Stop shaving the hair with a straight edge razor, as this is injuring the top layer of skin cells and hair follicles, and is allowing skin germs entry. Apply moist heat followed by antibiotic ointment. Avoid anything to disrupt the healing process like sex. Masturbation by itself, is not harmful, but if you do so without the skin healing, then re-injury can occur and delay healing.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar