Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Single Lesion on Penis

Question
herpes or normal digital trauma
herpes or normal digit  

I am have been in a monogamous relationship for 4 years and have had no previous infections with an STD or STI. 4 weeks ago I had unprotected intercourse with a girl I don't know during a wild night. We had vaginal and oral intercourse 3 times throughout a 12 hour period, all while intoxicated. The oral intercourse was performed on me intermittently throughout sex. Afterward, she assured me that she had never been diagnosed with any STDs/STIs and that she had only had 2 partners in the last 4 years.

Twelve days after the event I began to have an uncomfortable but not painful tingling sensation in my urethra that began a day after my girlfriend performed oral sex on me. Two weeks after my unprotected exposure I saw my provider and was given a clean-catch urinalysis for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and another for UTI causing bacteria such as ecoli and a blood test for HSV and HIV. All tests came back negative. But the uncomfortable sensation in my urethra continued, and my provider suggested that it may have been psychosomatic or a neuralgic manifestation of guilt.

Nearly 4 weeks after my exposure, and many other trips to the clinic to have "would-have-been" cold sores, genital abnormalities and the like examined (only to be reassured and nearly laughed at for my neurosis) i developed a raised red area, not a blister, on the underside of my penis shaft. This weekend I have manipulated it and picked at it so much that I've irritated the hell out of it to the point where now it looks like a legitimate herpes lesion. I have been taking a gram of Valtrex every day to prevent an outbreak while I'm with my girlfriend until I can get sufficient negative blood tests back. But now this? Is this what digital trauma can cause? Or should I be concerned now with a very real herpes outbreak. It would be my primary.

The picture above was taken after vigorous cleaning and drying of what I worried was the straw-colored lesion cover, but what may have been, and hopefully was, a regular scab. Light colored in nature due to constant cleaning and washing.

Thanks again.

Answer
Hello Winston,
You don't have herpes, and you should stop taking an antiviral that has no benefit since you aren't infected. Stop picking at the skin. It does not look like a "legitimate herpes" lesion.  It looks like it might be a skin infection from a skin fungus. Apply a topical antifungal such as terbinefine, tolnaftate, or miconazole and it probably will get better in week or so. Stop obsessing about an STD that you don't have.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar