Sexually Transmitted Diseases/White bumps on scrotum

Firstly, I'm going to apologize for the long question, I just want to be thorough.

I am not sure if what I am describing is truly an STD, but I have searched around and I'm not sure WHAT it is. I am a 20 year old male who has had small white bumps on his scrotum for most of his life, however they first showed up BEFORE I became sexually active.

When squeezed, these bumps (most of the time) release a sticky, foul smelling goo that (when compared to pus from acne) is almost grainy looking, retains it's initial shape unless moved (i.e. does not "run" or "flow" down any surface), and the bumps themselves return after a few days. There are easily dozens of them over both testicles, however they do not appear BETWEEN the two halves i.e. where the penis rests while flaccid. They rarely appear on the bottom of the scrotum, do not develop higher then the very BASE of the penis and sometimes (though rarely) become slightly inflamed. None of my sexual partners have ever seemed to develop these, which leads me to believe it is not an STD, but again... I'm not sure what it could be.

They first started appearing when I was around... 13 or so. They are normally painless (unless they become inflamed), and popping/squeezing them is also painless. They do not develop on hair follicles. Each bump will eventually "disappear", but more will develop elsewhere in no discernible pattern.

I know this is an unusual question, but any advice or information is VERY much appreciated.

Hi Arashii,
It sounds like you may have a variation of the skin that causes retained sebaceous gland cysts, that can indeed cause some of the symptoms you describe.  Molluscum contagiosum can also cause a similar condition, and are not necessarily sexually transmitted. Look up on  "scrotal sebaceous cysts" and "molluscum contagiosum."  

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons