Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Abnormal Periods on Birth Control

Question
I apologize that this isn't an STD question, but I really need some advice and I think you have great knowledge! So I have been taking the birth control Natazia since April 2012 and I've never had any real irregular periods, just some light spotting here and there, but for the past 2 months, December 2012 and January 2013, I've been having very abnormal periods. I got my period on December 1st through December 6th (it was pretty light) and then I got it again on December 11th - December 16th (this time it was heavier). I talked to my boyfriends mom, she's a gynecologist, and she said it was pretty normal and just to make sure to take it at the same time everyday, which I do anyways and I also have NEVER missed taking a pill. So January comes around and I get my period on January 6th - January 11th (light flow) and then it just started again yesterday, January 21st, but is much heavier. I was also treated for a yeast infection with DIFLUCAN this past saturday, January 19th, and I'm just wondering if maybe that's why the flow is so much heavier? Sorry for all the graphic details, but I don't have insurance and I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same position as me. Any help or advice would be great!! : )

Answer
Hi Lindsey,
You should direct your question to which ever health care provider prescribed the Natazia birth control pill!  Give them a call!  

Birth control pills are designed to prevent ovulation, and based on how much body fat you have, and how athletic you are, these may affect the regularity and heaviness of your periods. Two things to keep in mind:  estrogen (from your ovaries or from your birth control pill) may be bound up in adipose (fat) tissue; when estrogen levels drop below a certain level, the inner lining of the uterus (the endometrium) is shed in the menstrual period. If that estrogen level teeters very close to that "certain level," than small variations may cause "break through bleeding."

Break through bleeding is a mild nuisance. There are a couple of approaches to break through bleeding. Changing the dosage of hormones in the birth control pill; changing when the pill is taken relative to the beginning of the cycle (day one of bleeding); making sure you don't take any medications such as antibiotics that may interfere with your body's ability to metabolize the estrogen without doctor's advice; moderating periods of extreme exercise; sudden weight changes or illness; and other things, can all effect the character and frequency of periods.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar