Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Dry skin around base of penis after cellulitis

Question
Penis 1
Penis 1  

Penis 2
Penis 2  
Age: 22
City/Country: Boston, USA

On the December 27th, I had intercourse with my girlfriend. Few days later, I found out she had cheated on me once about a month before, unprotected vaginal sex.

Fast forward to January 16th, I noticed a pimple like thing on the shaft of my penis, near the base. It had a black dot in the middle, so I figured it was an ingrown hair. It was there for at least a week before (I've also had this exact bump several times in the past), but that night I poked at it a little. It fell off, and bled a tiny bit (over the next few days, the hair grew out fully). I put some antibiotic ointment on the area right after I had poked at it. Within 3-4 hours, I woke up with a pretty bad fever and the chills. My penis, primarily the area where the ingrown hair was, had swollen up TREMENDOUSLY, and it hurt.

Doctor said definitely not an STD, and diagnosed cellulitis. Prescribed me amoxicillin. Within 48 hours, the swelling had died down almost completely, except where the ingrown hair was is still a little swollen/firm (looks like a cyst in that area kind of). Pain is basically gone at this point. The skin also appears to be healing. Over the last few days, I've noticed some weird skin on my penis, mostly at the base (a lot of it around where the ingrown hair was). Also, I see similar skin on other parts of my shaft (left and right side). They don't hurt, no fluid in them. They are flat, just look like areas of skin with a white outline. Very flat white spots, looks like dry skin. When I shower, the water seems to make it go away temporarily, but they return shortly after.

Based on my own research, it doesn't look like herpes, but the timing of all this has scared me.

Thank you Doctor.

Answer
Hello Tom,
Yes, it did appear that you had cellulitis. I would have used a stronger antibiotic, such as Augmentin, rather than just plain amoxicillin! Thankfully, it did respond and is improving. I agree that it did not look like an STD. There is no evidence of herpes. The whitish areas look like something that was previously inflamed and swollen, and is now healing.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar