Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes? Or another STI?

Hi there, first off thank you for your time to answer my questions that I have.  About 25 days ago to be exact I had vaginal and oral sex with someone I didn't know well.  The condom broke but continued for about 3-5 minutes after with vaginal sex.  I asked the girl if she was aware of an STD's or something that I need to be concerned about and she said no, but do not believe her.  So about 1 1/2 days later I noticed a rash on my scrotum.  This rash started to itch and burn a lot and become very red.  My left groin lymph node swelled up for one day after that but hasn't since.  I started to feel some body aches and instantly thought that I have Herpes.  I went to the walk in care doctor 1 week later and got tested for chlamydia, gonorrhea and he took a urine test for bacteria.  Everything came back negative.  He looked at my rash and thought it looked fungal and gave me a cream for that.  He also gave me a prescription of  azithromycin and a shot in my butt to be safe.  He did not swab my penis because it did not hurt to pee nor were there and have there been any blisters or bumps.  He said he thinks that I am STI clean as of now and shouldn't worry about it anymore.  I have been using the cream for a little over 2 weeks now and my rash has gotten better but is still there and is red.  It doesn't burn or itch as much but is noticeable.

Now about 5 days ago I started to see pre ejaculate come out if my penis after I pee, get an erection, or think about sexual thoughts.   It is clear, transparent and sticky that drips out of my penis after urinate.  I really doesn't hurt to pee at all.  I don't think I ever did this before.  I have been looking at my Pee and it looks like there might be some pre ejaculate in that as well.  I quit masterbaiting for about 2 weeks after this incident and masterbaiting quite often before that about once a day.  If that means anything.  This really started freaking me out.  I don't know what I have.  I really want to be tested for herpes but have to wait a month or so longer for a accurate blood test.
My questions are:
what does this sound like to you? Does it sound at all like herpes or another std?
Could I get discharge like this from herpes in my urethra and not even know it?
Could a fungal infection be causing this like a yeast infection?  I'm debating going back to the doctor soon for a follow up but don't want to if it is pointless after I tested negative for what they can test for at that time?

Sorry for the long post just quite worried here.  Thanks

Hello Jon,
You could have had herpes, and/or a skin fungus, and/or syphilis, and/or folliculitis from MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus), etc. These all could cause a swollen lymph node with a rash.

The urine test was good to rule out gonorrhea or chlamydia, and a swab test from you penis isn't as good as the urine test. The scrotal rash may have gotten better with the cream, or without the cream, depending on what it was. I suspect that your doctor was correct, in thinking a skin fungus.

The pre-ejaculate you have from your penis sounds like "pre-cum" which is a normal consequence of being sexually aroused or excited. It is  not related to herpes or a fungal infection.

Photographs are usually very helpful.  You may go to, and search for "scrotal rash" or "herpes" or whatever other descriptor, to see whether any of the images look like what you had.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons