Sexually Transmitted Diseases/white spots?

PE 1
PE 1  
Hey Mark, I have these white spots on the underside of my penis shaft. I don't "feel"  as them there is no pain associated, it just looks funky...I also have MS in which autoimmune diseases can cause skin abnormalities etc..what's the deal??

Hello Joseph,
You mentioned that you have MS. You probably are already aware of this, but that vitamin D supplementation may help prevent the development of multiple sclerosis as well as provide for additional treatment.  MRI scans of the brains of people with MS in northern latitudes reveal increased lesions during the winter, when sunlight levels are low, and conversely decreased lesions in the summer; Vitamin D supplementation simulates a summer pattern.  MS is also a rare condition in tropical and semitropical areas. If you are unaware of this, than definitely mention it to your doctor.

The whitish areas on the underside of the penis appear to be vitiligo, a chronic, sometimes progressive disorder of skin pigmentation that may be related to an autoimmune disorder.

Your question is better suited to a dermatology, immunology, or rheumatology expert.  What is clear is that it does NOT appear to be related to STDs.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Good luck!

P.S.  Not sure what your followup question was referring to. MS is a neurological disorder, so follow your doctor's advice, and develop a mutually trusting relationship with him/her. Ask questions, and be an active participant in  your care!  And, if you can do it, get abundant sunshine frequently, especially if you live in northern climates! Vitamin D 50,000 units weekly is exactly what I would have prescribed for you, and certain have done so with many other patients with other maladies.  Ask your doctor about vitiligo and it's association with MS. Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons