Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes?

white bumps
white bumps  
Hello Mr. Behar am a 20 year old male living in hungary. 2 weeks ago I received unprotected oral from a woman. the next day i had painful urination swollen lymphnodes in the groin area so i went to see a urologist who perscribed me levofloxacin. today was the end of the dose and my condition is not any better. i noticed this very little white bumps on the head of my penis and i feel a bit of a burning sensation and cannot tell if is from urinating or from the skin. could you please take a look ate this photo and tell me what you think? thank you very much

Dear Mm,
I cannot say what you had that may have been treated with levofloxacin (Levoquin), but this class of antibiotics are NOT recommended to treat gonorrhea or chlamydia in the United States, due to the problem of antibiotic resistance. So, it is possible that you may have been mistreated.

The bumps on the glans (head) look like they are due to a chronic skin condition, but NOT an STD. I do not believe it is due to your recent sexual encounter. However the burning with urination MAY be due to an infection better treated with an antibiotic appropriate to a lab-proven diagnosed infection.

Good luck!

P.S. Rather than see a UROLOGIST, I would see someone more skilled at STDs such as a GUM (genital urethral male), STD or infectious disease doctor. Ask the doctor what the public health recommendations are for treatment of gonorrhea and chlamydia in your country, and make sure you have the tests (urine DNA test)  to properly diagnose such maladies.  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons