Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Small red bump on penis head

Little red bump right side
Little red bump right  

Without flash
Without flash  
I'm male, 35 years old, Nashville, TN. I've recently had a new sex with a new girl that I've known for years. We didn't use any protection. We also had anal sex unprotected and we didn't use any lube. So it was a little rough.  About a week or two later I noticed that I had a small red bump. It look like it had a tip on it, but nothing like a pimple. Just a red bump the size of a pencil tip or something to that effect. They don't hurt but I do notice an aching type feeling randomly in my penis. No discharge, no burning during urination. I have had a bad case of dermatitis in the past on my scrotum. Which I finally cured with some prescription topical greasy stuff. The name escapes me at the moment.

I spoke to this girl a week after I noticed this bump to see if she had ever been tested or has anything I should know about. She said not at all. She recently had a health screening done that tested for all the STDs and they came up negative. I was the first person to have sex with her since the screening.

Since then I've recently had myself tested and came up negative for all STDs, HIV, herpes, etc. my doc thought maybe it's just my dermatitis spreading again but this time to the penis. I did actually try to use the medicine lightly on the head of my penis and the bump went away and left a small dark faded red spot. And now can't be seen.  Since then, that spot has not came back. But I now have one on the right side of my glans. Same exact type of bump. I've not used the medicine this time. I wanted to ask what your thoughts were. Thanks for any help you can provide. I've been reading these questions and these are great answers. I've just not seen any bumps like this. Most people are showing a cluster of bumps. So I wasn't sure.

Hello Jason,
Adequate lubrication for sex will help prevent scratches or other injuries to the sensitive skin of the anus, vagina, and penis. There are some very excellent silicone based lubes that remain slippery without drying out like water based ones do.

The bump looks like it was correctly treated with the cream that your doc suggested. It appears that you are UNCIRC'd, meaning that the underlying skin may be more sensitive to injury without adequate lubrication. Nothing to worry about, as it does NOT seem to be an STD, just a mild irritation.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons