Sexually Transmitted Diseases/yeast infection

This is embarrassing to me ugh...I'm 31 yrs old,I'm female (can't say my location because the questions will appear in the answered question section).  

I noticed about a week ago I had a chunky white discharge.  About a month before that I had unprotected sex once (the only time I ever have) and I regretted taking that risk.  I'm paranoid that I have an STD.

So, after noticing the chunky white stuff (and yeasty smell) I was also itchy when the stuff came out and had a few sore red spots on my clit.  They aren't raised bumps, just tiny red circles like freckles.  That has really creeped me out!!!  I carefully wash the area (found that soap made them burn a little) and have been applying coconut oil which has helped a lot. The only other red spots like that were a few around my vagina.

The white discharge is gone and the itching/burning is gone...the yeast infection seems to be gone today.  But there are still a few tiny red spots that seem to almost go away, but then I look again later and one or two will be back.  There's nothing that looks like an actual ulcer...but at first when they first appeared on my clit there was a milky rings around some of them...I'm assuming it was from the yeast???  I'm so freaked out!  Help.

Please tell me its just from the yeast but be honest.  How much longer should it take for those to go away since the infection seems to be over with?

Hello Melisa,
Yes, it does in fact sound like a vulvovaginal yeast infection, best treated with a prescription antifungal such as fluconazole (Diflucan tablet by mouth) or something like terconazole (Terazol) vaginal cream. Give it a few days, and everything should get to normal. It does NOT sound like an STD.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons