Sexually Transmitted Diseases/genital warts

genital warts?
genital warts?  
QUESTION: Hi my my name is Angelica, I am 21 and I live in Dallas,TX in the US. Well lately I have been experiencing itching and soreness in my vagina. I am sexually active I've only had one partner and this is the first time this happens.I noticed something was wrong because during intercourse I experienced a very uncomfortable feeling. I have been researching and I am now thinking I have genital warts. At first I thought it would just be a yeast infection which i have never had either but what I have read and seen have made me think otherwise. I saw that I have two dark little bumps in my vagina. I attached a picture so you can understand better. I am really freaking out!  please help!

ANSWER: Hello Angelica,
Can you actually feel the two darkish bumps when rolling between your fingers? If you just see them, but cannot feel them, then they are just pigmented subcutaneous macules, and although all pigmented vulvar areas need to be more closely evaluated, they probably are nothing. If you can feel them, they may be cystic structures. Have them checked out by your Ob/Gyn or family practice provider.  They do not appear to be HPV or warts. The only way to identify vaginal yeast is with a pelvic and microscopic evaluation.

Good luck!

what is this??
what is this??  
QUESTION: Okay so I went to the doctor and she told me I have an infection. She prescribed some antibiotics by I'm still a little worried. I have attached another picture cuz I am not sure if what I see is normal.

Hi Again, Angela,
No change in the impression.  It vaguely resembles vulvar warts, but warts usually are lighter in color, especially after soaking the area in plain vinegar.  If the bumpy area stays the same color, than it is highly unlikely to be a wart caused by HPV, human papillomavirus. The best way to know however, is to have a knowledgeable health care provider examine the area!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons