Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HIV risk? Possible conversion symptoms?

Question
Three weeks ago I went to a medical laboratory where they tested for my blood group. I knew the nurse there and she did it herself. She opened a new needle and pricked my finger tip. Then she picked a (new) glass slide from a neat stack and wiped the blood coming on my finger with the corners of the slide before dipping it into the solution. I didn't see any blood on the slide before but I didn't really look. I chatted to the nurse for about 5 minutes before getting my blood drawn and they didn't seem to be working there very recently either.

2-3 weeks later I develop this strange 'cold' - vague headache, vague dizziness, feeling a fullness in my throat (but not sore) and behind my nose, feeling my head heavy and hurts when I move my eyes. I get a couple of swollen lymph nodes in my upper neck - small (7-8mm), very soft and mobile, a bit tender. My throat is a bit reddish with a few whitish patches but it doesn't hurt. I got another tender lymph node in my groin yesterday, but it's tiny and very soft as well (5mm). I've been having this for 4 days.

I have no fever, no sore throat, no runny nose, not much fatigue and it happened after a few weeks of being extremely stressed out. I have been tested for HIV regularly (last time 1 month ago) and I am very very careful about exposure. I don't have unprotected sex, etc.

Is it likely that I have been exposed to HIV from that lab procedure? Can these be the conversion symptoms of HIV? Or more likely something else?

Answer
Hello Cristina,
It is very unlikely that your vague viral symptoms are in any way related to HIV from a suspected contact from a blood typing procedure. It does sound very much like the usual fall viruses associated with an upper respiratory infection; or it could be strep throat or a combination of several things. HIV requires an actual exposure of viable virus into your body, which does not sound like what you experienced.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar