Sexually Transmitted Diseases/little lump external labia

Question
Hi Mark, i'm 21 and really in panic about this lump in my outer labia. I had it since January. At first i thought it was a small pimple or something like that so i tried to pop it though i do not know whether it has something inside. So after, it hurt when I pee beause of what I did. I thought when it healed, it would just go away but I was wrong. It became that little lump in the picture. It's quite flexible and i can even try to pull it but of course the skin connecting hurts. I can also flaten it. It's soft and skin-like. It doesn't hurt, itch or anything and no fluid inside. It's just there. I was hoping this was just a skin tag but the longer it is there the more suspicious I become. I think it has increased in size slowly. Is this some sort of a symptom of cancer or HPV? I haven't had a penetration from the male organ but i had a rubbing with it and some time after that i had the pimple like bump. It really made the skin of my labia sore after we did that. I have been freaking out after some internet researches. I was scared that others might grow but as of the moment, it's the only one there. I am really shy in telling my parents for help or other people. Hoping for the best. Please do answer this. Thanks.

Answer
Hello Jem,
Your description of the bump makes it sounds like a wart caused by human papilloma virus, a very common skin-to-skin transmitted virus. Cancers usually are not like this at all, and take many years to develop, so your age is a factor. If you had the same thing first noticed at age 40 or 50 or 60, I would be much more concerned. The only way to know for sure is to have a knowledgeable health care provider examine the area.  Sometimes family planning clinics (such as Plannned Parenthood in the US) can make such assessments and can manage the actual treatment without getting your parents involved. HOWEVER, it is important to at least have some expert check it out, so you will have to tell someone.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar